What's on my playlist for Fourth Grade?

Friday, August 3, 2018

This week, I'm blogging about my playlists for each grade level, in my music room. For more information about how and why I'm using playlists, check out this post. Today, let's talk about fourth grade!

Fourth grade playlist for the music room: Three fun recordings for your music lessons, for listening, dancing, and rhythmic work!


Here are three recordings from my fourth grade playlist:

I found the book "Unspoken" a few years ago, and fell in love with it. It is a wordless picture book about the Underground Railroad; you can view it on Amazon here:


After lots of digging, I finally found this recording that works perfectly with the book. I play the music, and usually turn the page after 16 beats (in a couple cases, I turn the page after 8 beats), then, the music ends right when the book ends. It's a great pairing with the story, and is a great way to get students thinking critically about the Underground Railroad.

I found this folk dance on YouTube and loved it!


The track above is a version of the song, which can be used to teach and perform the dance. I'll be using it with a program for "Caps for Sale" with my fourth graders.

My fourth graders will be practicing tika-ti at the beginning of the year, and this piece is a great listening lesson for that! Students will read this rhythm for the A section:

For a more detailed slideshow with more ideas for practicing rhythm and form, check out this set, which includes a slideshow for the piece:


Here are the previous grade level posts:
Stay tuned for my last post tomorrow, about fifth grade, and if you haven't entered the giveaway for an iTunes gift card and credit to my store, check it out here...today's the last day to enter! Also check out my Instastories this week for snippets of each song!

What is on your fourth grade playlist? Feel free to comment below. Happy listening, and happy teaching!

No comments

Post a Comment

latest videos

ON YOUTUBE