Transitions in the Music Room

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Lately, I've been writing with classroom management strategies in the music room. In this post, I wrote about star students, and in this post, I wrote about a point system for your music classroom. Today, I'm writing about one of my favorite ways to keep students' attention throughout the lesson: transitions!

Transitions in the music room: Ideas for using transitions in your music lessons to keep kids engaged and excited!


I first learned about transitions when I began my Kodaly training at Capital University. In a music lesson, transitions are how we move from one activity from the next, so that kids stay engaged, and the lesson flows smoothly. Although I've thought of this as more of a lesson strategy than a classroom management strategy, I think it can do wonders to help students stay focused and excited!

Last year, I made this video about transitions in the Kindergarten music room:


Earlier this year, I made this video about transitions for first and second grade:


Here are some of the links mentioned in both videos:
Here is the animated transitions set I mentioned in the 1st and 2nd grade video:



If you'd like to see more videos like this, subscribe to my YouTube channel here

What are some of your favorite transitions? Feel free to comment below, and happy teaching!


No comments

Post a Comment

latest videos

ON YOUTUBE